Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction-Resilience
Founded in 1979 by Dr. Jon Kabat-Zinn, Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction (MBSR) is the systematic application of mindfulness training to stress and problems related to stress.
Each class consists of guided meditations, gentle movement exercises, brief talks, large and small group discussion. The course is intended to be positive, life-affirming and challenging. Classes are designed to be a safe, supportive, and deeply engaging learning environment that allows participants to seek, explore, and inquire. The course consists of 8 sessions approximately 2-1/2 hours long with one all-day session.
- Mindfulness means paying attention to the present moment in a particular way: on purpose and without judgment.
- So much of our lives is spent thinking about the past or planning for the future that we miss what is happening in the here-and-now.
- We live our lives on automatic pilot—not really being aware of what we are thinking, feeling, or doing.
- Diminished awareness of the present moment severely limits the ability to live to the fullest and to respond to situations with choice rather than reacting automatically.
- Mindfulness is about living consciously and can be cultivated through meditation, yoga, and other mind-body practices.
- These practices help us access powerful inner resources (“already here”) for coping effectively with stress and difficulties.
Between classes, students enhance their participation through working with meditation CDs, homework assignments daily for 30-60 minutes. Full Catastrophe Living by Jon Kabat-Zinn is an excellent but optional resource.
About David Alley
David’s preparation to facilitate this course includes a 7-day professional training program under the direction of Dr. Jon Kabat-Zinn and Dr. Saki Santorelli: Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction in Mind-Body Medicine. He also completed a 9-day Intensive Practicum in Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction training taught by senior staff from the Center for Mindfulness at the University of Massachusetts Medical School.
David has a doctorate in Curriculum and Instruction with an emphasis in Adult Learning and Higher Education from the University of Memphis and has been Vice President for Student Services in a small church-related college. Since moving to Minnesota in 1990, he has served as Vice President, President and CEO of consulting firm Designs for Learning. He became the Executive Director of SHIFT in April 2013 and in September 2013 was named one of 15 Encore Innovation Fellows in the US.
8 -2½ hour sessions + 1-all day session
8:00 am – 10:30 am: Tue 7/8, Fri 7/11, Mon 7/14, Fri 7/18, Tue 7/22, Fri 7/25, Tue 7/29, Fri 8/1
8:00 am – 3:00 pm: Sun 7/27
Session Fee: Members: $275 (Save $25), Non-members: $425